FedEx Cares ATL - Open Hand
On Sept 15, FedEx Cares Atlanta volunteers gathered for the yearly FedEx Cares Week event to support Open Hand in Atlanta, GA.
Collective efforts exceeded expectations, while delivering back locally through FedEx Cares. We had a total of 42 employees representing FedEx Express, FedEx Freight, FedEx Ground, FedEx Custom Critical and FedEx Trade Networks. Open Hand Atlanta helps people prevent or better manage chronic disease through home-delivered meals and nutrition education as a means to reinforce the connection between informed food choices and improved quality of life.
• Many volunteers worked in the meal packing area assembling and packaging 2,182 meals for home-bound seniors which were delivered Saturday 9/16.
• A team packed fresh vegetables to be added to weekly market baskets for seniors that are home bound but still able to cook.
• Others assembled 164 shelf stable meal kits to support hurricane relief for those that didn’t have power.
• A big group worked on the logistical aspects of routing 1,567 shelf stable kits, which were delivered Saturday 9/16.
• Another big team worked in the education and teaching garden building vegetable beds, spreading mulch, planting vegetables, and assembling outdoor furniture.
• FedEx provided a grant of $4,750.00 which was used to support the event, sponsored meals, garden equipment, greenhouse, kitchen uniforms.
For more information regarding this great organization, please visit: http://www.projectopenhand.org/
Photos from this event as well as past FedEx Cares Atlanta events can be found at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/124327589@N03/albums/